Friday, October 26, 2012

Using Your Credit Card Rewards to Pay for Gifts

If you own a credit card with reward points, the holidays is a great time to use them!

Now, before I go any further, I want to clarify that I only think you should use a credit card if you can pay it off in full each month, otherwise everything you charged that was a "deal" is no longer a deal. And please, don't charge just to earn points. If you can't be trusted around a credit card, that's OK. I can't be trusted around chocolate (no, seriously), we all have our weaknesses. So if you don't use a credit card, just skip right over this post. :)

So back to the points... in my opinion, the gift cards that you can purchase through your points is the best bang for your "buck". I would recommend using your reward points in the following ways:

1.      Redeem your points for a gift card to a store that you know you'll be shopping at for gifts this season.
2.      Redeem your points for a gift card to a store and give that gift card as a gift (the gift card looks no different than the ones you get right in the store, the person receiving your gift will have no idea that you didn't get it directly from the store).
3.      Redeem your points for a gift card to a store that you do normal shopping at, so you can use those gift cards to off-set normal items you buy each month, therefore freeing up money in your budget to purchase items for the holidays.
 
Each credit card has different stores that you can redeem your points for, so take some time to check out your options. I would also recommend that once you decide you're going to order a gift card (or two!), place your order early. I find that the closer we get to the December holidays, the longer it takes to receive the gift cards.

Here are some ways I've used my credit card rewards in the past:
·         Last year I ordered $10 Starbucks gift cards to give to my daughter’s teachers
·         I’ve ordered gift cards to Kohls, Home Depot and Pottery Barn to give as gifts
·         I’ve ordered gift cards to Bed, Bath and Beyond to purchase new towels and even a Dyson vacuum (we had a lot of points accumulated at that point)!
 
So look through your reward options, look at your list of who you need to buy for this year and see if you can’t cross some of those names off your list by using gift cards through your reward points!


No comments:

Post a Comment